- Vision Zero is a comprehensive program to eliminate crashes that result in fatalities or serious injuries in 10 years.
- Betsy’s 2018 budget invested of $400,000 in the repairing of crumbling roads, installation of protected bike lanes, and better marking of sidewalks.
- 20 year investment in City streets, which will allow the City to equitably implement the Complete Streets Policy.
- Spearheaded as a council member and as the mayor, funded the full City-wide organics recycling program in her first budget, building in education and outreach to ensure the program’s success.
- Co-chaired and funded the Clean Energy Partnership, initiating the exploration of a proposal to raise franchises to help support climate and energy programming.
- Proposed the first funding for Green Zones, to focus on sustainability, environmental justice, and inclusive economic development.
- Led the City’s successful lead abatement in North Minneapolis. Last year, 200 homes received lead mitigation, up from 25 in 2014.
- Reached an agreement to move Northern Metals out of the Northside, and through that agreement invested in asthma prevention in the neighborhood, as well.
Public Safety and Community Trust
- Overall I’m proposing an investment of over $4 million on strategies that will both build trust and ensure that everyone feels safe and is safe in Minneapolis.
- Implementing a bodycam expansion program alongside new MPD Chief Arradondo.
- Citywide, positive police contacts are up 23 percent over this time last year and up 51 percent over two years ago.
- Responded to community requests to put more resources behind safety on the Northside, and as a result of that investment, violent crimes in the 4th Precinct neighborhoods are down 14 percent over last year.
- Investment in Community Liaisons —civilians who are embedded in precincts who serve as conduits between the community and the department.
- Funded the City’s first Mental-Health Co-responder Pilot, to give police a tested tool to help effectively and safely respond to calls involving mental health crises.
- Group Violence Intervention strategy helps individuals leave a lifestyle that greatly increases their likelihood of being a perpetrator or victim of violence. The program oversaw a reduction in gunshot wound victims of 30% from 2016 to 2017.
- Coordinating with the Downtown Improvement District in the outreach and activation efforts for our downtown safety strategies, particularly around homelessness, gun violence, and transportation.
- Since 2014, I’ve invested over $80 million in housing strategies, over $55 million for affordable housing, and over $26 million for homeownership.
- Created and funded the Family Housing Initiative to allow funding for units for larger families, particularly for women coming out of shelters.
- Proposed the City’s first investment of $1.5 million in preserving Naturally Occurring Affordable Housing to help make sure we are not losing existing affordable units faster than we can build new ones.
- Supported Green Homes North to build new, energy efficient homes in North Minneapolis, resulting in 35 homes under construction at the end of 2016 with another 17 slated to be built this year.
Get Team Betsy updates!