• Has begun transforming police–community relations by:
• Keeping her promise to put body cameras on every police officer;
• Getting all police officers trained in implicit bias, procedural justice, and crisis intervention;
• Making it easier to file and track complaints against officers;
• Creating new classes of Community Service Officers, which are more than half people of color; and
• Investing significantly in community policing, one of the pillars of building relationships and trust with community.
This body of work amounts to changing the DNA of Minneapolis city government, fundamentally reorienting it toward achieving racial equity in our city. This includes work such as funding implicit-bias training for all City employees, establishing the Office of Equity and Inclusion, implementing the Promise Zone for North Minneapolis, and guiding the work of the Bloomberg-funded Innovation Team to support renters and small businesses in communities of color.